Interactive Video: Creating Highly Effective Virtual Teams - A Case Study
Path to ExpertiseCoaching and Leading
Can a virtual team be as effective as a co-located team? This is a question that organizations are debating, and the arguments on both sides are very compelling. Factors like work-life balance and organizational savings need to be balanced with the value of face-to-face collaboration and managerial oversight. Whether you personally embrace the concept or not, chances are you will participate as a virtual team member during your career.
The reality is, a virtual team can be very effective if the correct conditions are met and maintained. It’s about putting together the right personalities, ensuring they have the right tools, and leading the team successfully. InSync Training began as a virtual team when you didn’t hear about working from home, and in 15 years has expanded to a virtual team with 60+ members working all hours from all over the world. We have a lot of experience to share.
After discussing the arguments for and against establishing a virtual team, this workshop will use real-life examples to address six key enablers for success:
- How to form the virtual team: Identifying the profile of an effective virtual team and its players, and how to engage existing team members in selecting new team members
- How to enable the virtual team: Ensuring the right technologies and processes are in place to ensure success
- How to maintain the virtual team: Creating inter-reliability, trust, and teamwork
- How to protect the virtual team: Identifying and managing issues before they become destructive
- How to lead the virtual team: Establishing credibility while maintaining the right balance of oversight and empowerment
- How to reward the virtual team: Creating team building opportunities across the distance